MSc, BSc, PGDip, PGCPSE, Dip IT, CTLLS.
Founder of D.ESCAL8TM 2013
September 2013 to present - Director D.ESCAL8TM - Senior Trainer and Behaviour Consultant.
November 2012 to present - Shared Lives / Adult Placement Carer.
Often experts and trainers in my field significantly reduce their contact as front-line carers over time, resulting in them having no ‘real life’ experience of caring for individuals on a day to day, ongoing basis. I have made a conscious decision to keep engaging in the caring role. As such, I am an approved Shared Lives Carer for the West Wales Shared Lives Scheme.
My family and I welcome individuals into our home with varying backgrounds, situations and diagnoses. We have shared their lives with individuals on the autistic spectrum, those with mental health conditions, learning disabilities, Down’s Syndrome, acquired brain injury and substance abuse problems.
We all find that this role, although sometimes challenging, very rewarding, satisfying and often fun. My family and I share our home with a lovely lady with us on a permanent placement and have a number of regular short break visitors.
I also am one of two Pembrokeshire Carer Reps on the West Wales Shared Lives Consultative group.
September 1994 to July 2013 - Lead Trainer and Senior Behaviour Management Consultant for Studio III Training Systems.
Facilitating adult training across UK, Ireland and abroad across all settings in the care industry. Including working with translators both foreign and sign language.
Assessment of service users on a one to one basis and creation of reactive strategies to manage behaviours staff found particularly difficult to cope with.
Creation of policies for individual services around behaviour management and use of physical interventions.
Headed training development with German national training provider, teaching, qualifying and ongoing development of the German training team.
Led syllabus consistency within the internal and external trainers qualified in the company system.
Organised and managed Continuing Professional Development across all training teams.
Facilitated CPD events for both internal and external trainers with occasional public attendance.
Designed, created and maintained a ‘Trainers’ web application for all Studio III Trainers and outside affiliated ‘Train the trainers’.
Designed, created and maintained bespoke record keeping and case management online software.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
Along with a MSc in Psychology, I have qualifications in Hypnotherapy, am a Master Practitioner in Neuro Linguistic Programming and have a number of postgraduate qualifications including: child development; research methods; cognitive psychology; cognition - damaged brains and neural networks; digital communications.
I have a current First Aid Certificate and up to date Epipen training.
I maintain my enhanced DBS certificatification (Disclosure and Barring Service, previously CRB), for both children and adults, as part of the DBS update service - this can be accessed upon request.
- First Aid Training
- Advanced Topics in Behaviour Analysis
- Ethical and Professional Conduct of Behaviour Analysts
- Targeted Topics in Behaviour Analysis: Essentials of Organizational Behaviour Management
- Positional Asphyxia Course
- Decreasing, Eliminating, and Replacing Problem Behaviour
- Introduction to Ethical & Professional Conduct of Behaviour Analysts
- Developing, Strengthening and Maintaining Behaviour
- Sensory Process Disorder Awareness Diploma
- Risk Assessment Training
- Basic Elements of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Foundations, Concepts, and Principles of Behaviour Analysis
- Dementia: Understanding and Managing Challenging Behaviour
- Adults at risk (Safeguarding – Protection of Vulnerable Adults (POVA))
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Learning Disabilities and Dementia
- Learning Disability Equality awareness training
- Mental Capacity Act training
- Quality Management System Training
- Emergency First Aid
- Epilepsy Awareness Training
- Food Safety and Hygiene Course
- Skills for Care (original member of physical interventions focus group)
- SCIF (Social Care Induction Framework – working group in West Wales)
- Adult Placement Award - 3 day
- Adult Placement Award – Medication
- Mental Capacity Act
- Food Safety Awareness
- Safeguarding Essential Awareness
- Epilepsy Awareness
- Learning Disability Equality
- Neuro Linguistic Programming – Master Practitioner
- The Open University
- Master of Science in Psychology (F15)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Social Sciences (D41)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education (C27)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Open (BD)
- Diploma in Information Technology (D38)
- Exploring cognition: damaged brains and neural networks (DS871)
- Cognitive psychology (D309)
- Child development in families, schools and society (ED840)
- Introduction to research: basic skills and survey methods (DT840)
- The challenge of the social sciences (D820)
- Digital communications (T305)
- Information technology and society (THD204)
Work affords me the ability to enjoy travelling and seeing new places. I live on a smallholding in rural Pembrokeshire with my wife and son, Miles, who is home educated.
I have spent a lot of time in the last few years studying; every spare moment I enjoy learning something new.
2018 is time to consolidate my learning, as well as find more time to enjoy a bit of wakeboarding.
For all areas I work in please see descooke.me